The illustration shows a detailed medieval city with many buildings and towers.

History

Brewing tradition for 700 years

In Nuremberg the craft of beer brewing has been documented for more than 700 years. Following the old saying ‘Nürnberger Hand und Nürnberger Tand’ (‘Nuremberg’s ‘hands‘ and Nuremberg’s trinkets’ – its crafts and products) Nuremberg beer also became an export success of the imperial city. Even after its period as a free imperial city it was the top address for beer in the Kingdom of Bavaria – and even the world’s capital as an international trading place for hops.

Nuremberg’s brewing history has its origins in the imperial free city’s ‘Barley Order‘ dating back to the year 1303. It commanded that only barley was to be used for brewing beer. To this day, Tucher flies the flag of this proud Nuremberg brewing tradition.

Modern brewery with several buildings and a landscaped garden is depicted. The main tower presents information texts.

1672

…the Council of the City of Nuremberg has the city’s wheat brewery erected. This is where the roots of our Tucher wheat beers lie.

1806

…the city’s wheat brewery is continued as Royal Brewery of Nuremberg following the annexation of the formerly free imperial City of Nuremberg by the Kingdom of Bavaria.

1855

…the baronial Tucher family acquires the brewery. It continues to grow under the new name of ‘Freiherrlich von Tucher´sche Brauerei’ (Baron of Tucher’s Brewery). Since then, we have featured Saint Maurice in our Tucher brand logo.

1890

The continually rising output levels lead to the decision of purchasing premises at Lange Gasse near the Tucher Garden at Tucher Castle. There, a highly modern brewhouse and other production facilities, state of the art at the time, are built.

1938

...Tucher Brauerei AG, owing to the growing popularity of its beers, is the largest brewery in the City of Nuremberg, its region and beyond.

1945

During the last days of the Second World War air raids destroy the brewery’s malthouse, bottling line and numerous buildings. Only the brewhouse and the machine building remain. The end of the war is followed by reconstruction work at Lange Gasse.

1999

…the new logistics centre on the premises of the former military barracks at the city limits of Nuremberg and Fuerth is put into operation.

2003

…our new bottling plant next to the logistics centre is put into operation.

2004

Radeberger Gruppe takes over the traditional Tucher Brewery. We are now part of the leading brewery group in the German market.

2008

...sees the inauguration of our new administration and probably the only two-city-brewhouse worldwide, located exactly at the city limits of Nuremberg and Fuerth. This is where our pipeline now supplies water from our deep wells in the protected Rednitz River meadows to our two-city-brewhouse.

2018

Our Tucher Altes Sudhaus (old brewhouse) at Schillerplatz starts operating its wood-barrel maturation process – the basis of our Original Tucher Nürnberger Rotbier (red beer).

Learn more about us: